Read the following assessment scenario and think about how your school uses assessment to improve student performance. Answer questions that follow the scenario in the comment section......p
1. Units are completely aligned to the standards.
2. The learning targets for each unit are clear, student friendly, communicated to the students, and demonstrate higher order cognitive ability.
3. Common assessments are administered at the end of each unit to each student in all identical classes of that particular subject/grade level for comparative purposes.
4. The standards, targets, and common assessments are congruent and common assessments provide avenues for students to show learning through differentiated learning styles.
5. The teacher evaluates the assessment results item by item to determine strength and weakness of target completion by each student. (item analysis)
6. Feedback for improvement is communicated to each child.
7. Students who do not demonstrate proficiency are scheduled in RTI to receive intensive re-teaching and reassessment in line with their individual learning styles.
Guiding Questions for Assessment Scenario
1. How was this assessment scenario used both summatively and formatively?
2. What was the main purpose of this assessment scenario? What did it do well?
3. What didn't it do so well?
4. Overall, is the assessment scenario effective for increasing student performance? Provide reasoning.